Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

No way would I want to drink from my butt. Have you seen the wrigglies
in it? And the moss which comes off the roof?

I have tried filtering the water as it goes INTO the butt
........................... failed

Yes, I'm aware of the wrigglies etc. That's exactly what I'm concerned
about. I guess Jake's suggestion of filtering at the outlet is the answer.

The wrigglies are not a problem - they are just good protein. It's
the invisible nasties in the bird crap that is the issue. Even if
you are someone who regards salmonella as an acceptable part of your
diet (yes, there are plenty of us who do), birds can carry worse
things.

I think one can make an effective filtration system out of sand and
charcoal, IIRC.

You can. But you need more of them than most people want to allocate
the space for.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in :

You can. But you need more of them than most people want to allocate
the space for.

Why?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
AL_n wrote:

You can. But you need more of them than most people want to allocate
the space for.

Why?

Because they aren't continuous, so that water can get through between
the particles. Effectively, that means that they reduce the bacteria
(exponentially with thickness).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 2, 10:11*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
wrote :

Because they aren't continuous, so that water can get through between
the particles. *Effectively, that means that they reduce the bacteria
(exponentially with thickness).

Sorry; I'm not following. What do you mean when you say sand & charcoal
filters are not continuous? And thickness of what?

Al

Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
AL_n wrote:

Because they aren't continuous, so that water can get through between
the particles. Effectively, that means that they reduce the bacteria
(exponentially with thickness).

Sorry; I'm not following. What do you mean when you say sand & charcoal
filters are not continuous? And thickness of what?

They are particulate. And thickness of the bed. Sorry, I don't
have time to translate and explain just now, but you will be able
to find a complete description of the mechanism if you search the
Web for how the water treatment plants that supply our drinking
water work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.