Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Veggie watering: the various options...

On 05/03/2012 13:21, Spider wrote:
On 04/03/2012 20:52, Jim xzy wrote:
I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the following...

I need to choose between four methods of watering my garden vegetables
rainfall becomes infrequent:

1) Use mains water via a garden hose (easiest option),

2) Use saved rainwater via a watering can

3) Maintain a large tub of mains water into which shredded seaweed has
been
added (and perhaps a few comfrey leaves. I would water my plants with
this
using a watering can.

4) As (3), except use rainwater instead of mains water.

Which is best. I expect that some will say (2), (3), or (4).. But is the
benefit (in therms of vegetable production) worth the extra time and
effort? (And, in my case, the cost of buying a watering can and extra
butt
to brew the liquid fertlizer in...)

Jim

Use mains water for watering seedlings (incl. newly-sown trays), as
collected water will carry bacteria and cause rotting off.

Save as much rainwater as you can (use more than one butt or tank, if
poss) for use with a watering can.

By all means maintain your own liquid food tank, but it should be
separate from the plain water tanks, so that you are in control of feeding.

Only you can really answer your last question. Within your budget,
collect as much water as possible. I find it is worth having two
watering cans, so one can be filling while the first is in use. If you
use herbicides or pesticides, then a separate can (preferably red) for
these applications will prevent you from killing or harming your plants
(or yourself) with toxic residue.

Dave, do I need to take my wife out first?