Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veggie watering: the various options...

I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the following...

I need to choose between four methods of watering my garden vegetables
rainfall becomes infrequent:

1) Use mains water via a garden hose (easiest option),

2) Use saved rainwater via a watering can

3) Maintain a large tub of mains water into which shredded seaweed has been
added (and perhaps a few comfrey leaves. I would water my plants with this
using a watering can.

4) As (3), except use rainwater instead of mains water.

Which is best. I expect that some will say (2), (3), or (4).. But is the
benefit (in therms of vegetable production) worth the extra time and
effort? (And, in my case, the cost of buying a watering can and extra butt
to brew the liquid fertlizer in...)

Jim

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 4, 8:52*pm, Jim xzy wrote:
I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the following...

I need to choose between four methods of watering my garden vegetables
rainfall becomes infrequent:

1) Use mains water via a garden hose (easiest option),

2) Use saved rainwater via a watering can

3) Maintain a large tub of mains water into which shredded seaweed has been
added (and perhaps a few comfrey leaves. I would water my plants with this
using a watering can.

4) As (3), except use rainwater instead of mains water.

Which is best. I expect that some will say (2), (3), or (4).. But is the
benefit (in therms of vegetable production) worth the extra time and
effort? (And, in my case, the cost of buying a watering can and extra butt
to brew the liquid fertlizer in...)

Jim

If you have no water meter option 1.
If you have a water meter option 2.
Any form of crap you put in the water will just block the nozzles in
your watering can.
If you have weeds or sea weed, put on compost heap.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post

If you have no water meter option 1.
If you have a water meter option 2.
And if you are likely to have a hosepipe ban later in the year, start filling your water butts now.
__________________
Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Any form of crap you put in the water will just block the nozzles in
your watering can.

I would use the Water but to produce Liquid feed for the garden,
Don't wory about blocking the watering can, all you need do is to put
a bit of stocking or tight over the top, to act as a filter, when you
fill the can.#, this will keep the crud out.
Use the hose for watering, but just water the plants, not all the soil
that has nothing .
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/03/2012 20:52, Jim xzy wrote:
I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the following...

I need to choose between four methods of watering my garden vegetables
rainfall becomes infrequent:

1) Use mains water via a garden hose (easiest option),

2) Use saved rainwater via a watering can

3) Maintain a large tub of mains water into which shredded seaweed has been
added (and perhaps a few comfrey leaves. I would water my plants with this
using a watering can.

4) As (3), except use rainwater instead of mains water.

Which is best. I expect that some will say (2), (3), or (4).. But is the
benefit (in therms of vegetable production) worth the extra time and
effort? (And, in my case, the cost of buying a watering can and extra butt
to brew the liquid fertlizer in...)

Jim

Use mains water for watering seedlings (incl. newly-sown trays), as
collected water will carry bacteria and cause rotting off.

Save as much rainwater as you can (use more than one butt or tank, if
poss) for use with a watering can.

By all means maintain your own liquid food tank, but it should be
separate from the plain water tanks, so that you are in control of feeding.

Only you can really answer your last question. Within your budget,
collect as much water as possible. I find it is worth having two
watering cans, so one can be filling while the first is in use. If you
use herbicides or pesticides, then a separate can (preferably red) for
these applications will prevent you from killing or harming your plants
(or yourself) with toxic residue.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/03/2012 13:21, Spider wrote:
[...]

Dave, do I need to take my wife out first?

Old 06-03-2012, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 6, 2:04*pm, Moonraker wrote:
[...]

Residing on low ground in North Staffordshire- Hide quoted text -

I'd say that it's her choice, depends on what turns her on(or off).
Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2012 14:26, Dave Hill wrote:
On Mar 6, 2:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

Sigh, decisions, decisions. Dave passing the buck as usual.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 6, 2:04 pm, *wrote:
[...]

I doubt he's married to a buck, rather a Doe

Various Flowers - Daylily-Mauve.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 05-04-2009 11:30 AM
Various options for seeding lawn? Mark Smith Lawns 0 23-05-2004 08:06 PM
Various options for seeding lawn? Mark Smith Gardening 0 23-05-2004 08:02 PM
Various yard questions Sharon Lawns 11 29-09-2003 10:02 PM
FS: Various bits and bobs UK Mark Trueman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 07-09-2003 04:15 AM