Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with?

On 06/03/2012 19:31, Jim xzy wrote:
wrote in news:b04f00fb-ef77-427b-b5d0-
:

Dishwasher detergent has some quite nasty chemicals.
Do you really want to anoint your vegetbles with them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish_washer#Detergent

I guess it depends on the amounts present in the water.

I guess I could try it and see if the comfrey starts looking sorry for
itself...

Jim

Why risk it? You'll not just damage your plant(s), but the soil, too.
Dishwater 'grey' water is not suitable for use in the garden. If you
wanted to harvest it and use it for flushing the toilet, that would be
reasonable. Keep it away from your soil and plants.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London