Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with?

Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with (specifically, comfrey)?
The reason I ask, is because I am thinking of drilling some small holes in
the 2" sloping waste pipe outside my house which takes the dishwasher's
effluent to the sewer downpipe. Underneath the 2" waste pipe, is a long
planter containing my comfrey plants, which I gather prefer to live in damp
soil.

The dishwasher tablets I use are the cheapest type from Tesco. I also use
salt, in the dishwasher's salt compartment, to inhibit limescale.

Jim
Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 6, 5:24*pm, Jim xzy wrote:
Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with (specifically, comfrey)?
The reason I ask, is because I am thinking of drilling some small holes in
the 2" sloping waste pipe outside my house which takes the dishwasher's
effluent to the sewer downpipe. Underneath the 2" waste pipe, is a long
planter containing my comfrey plants, which I gather prefer to live in damp
soil.

The dishwasher tablets I use are the cheapest type from Tesco. I also use
salt, in the dishwasher's salt compartment, to inhibit limescale.

Jim

Dishwasher detergent has some quite nasty chemicals.
Do you really want to anoint your vegetbles with them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish_washer#Detergent
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in news:b04f00fb-ef77-427b-b5d0-
:

Dishwasher detergent has some quite nasty chemicals.
Do you really want to anoint your vegetbles with them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish_washer#Detergent

I guess it depends on the amounts present in the water.

I guess I could try it and see if the comfrey starts looking sorry for
itself...

Jim
Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2012 19:31, Jim xzy wrote:
wrote in news:b04f00fb-ef77-427b-b5d0-
:

Dishwasher detergent has some quite nasty chemicals.
Do you really want to anoint your vegetbles with them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish_washer#Detergent

I guess it depends on the amounts present in the water.

I guess I could try it and see if the comfrey starts looking sorry for
itself...

Jim

Why risk it? You'll not just damage your plant(s), but the soil, too.
Dishwater 'grey' water is not suitable for use in the garden. If you
wanted to harvest it and use it for flushing the toilet, that would be
reasonable. Keep it away from your soil and plants.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Mar 6, 5:24*pm, Jim xzy wrote:
Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with (specifically, comfrey)?
The reason I ask, is because I am thinking of drilling some small holes in
the 2" sloping waste pipe outside my house which takes the dishwasher's
effluent to the sewer downpipe. Underneath the 2" waste pipe, is a long
planter containing my comfrey plants, which I gather prefer to live in damp
soil.

The dishwasher tablets I use are the cheapest type from Tesco. I also use
salt, in the dishwasher's salt compartment, to inhibit limescale.

Jim

It has lots of salt, and worse. I'd be surpised if there were many
plants that survived it.

NT

Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-07 15:55:40 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On 6 Mar 2012 17:24:23 GMT, Jim xzy wrote:

Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with (specifically,
comfrey)?
The reason I ask, is because I am thinking of drilling some small holes
in
the 2" sloping waste pipe outside my house which takes the dishwasher's
effluent to the sewer downpipe. Underneath the 2" waste pipe, is a long
planter containing my comfrey plants, which I gather prefer to live in
damp
soil.

The dishwasher tablets I use are the cheapest type from Tesco. I also
use
salt, in the dishwasher's salt compartment, to inhibit limescale.

Jim

'Ordinary' washing-up water is OK for occasional use on the garden
e.g. at times of drought, but as others have said, dishwasher water is
quite another matter. It contains much more in the way of aggressive
detergents, and I would expect frequent and repeated doses onto a
potted plant would kill it.

Those who used washing up water from the sink (not the dishwasher) during
the 1976 drought, sometimes found a marked drop in aphids in their
gardens!
--
Sacha

It was during that period that my wife, who has been a very keen gardener
for a number of years, developed a wonderful method of using all the sink
and washing machine water. She had to really because we had a large garden
at our last house and we were complete as a family.

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-07 15:55:40 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

[...]

www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

AFAIK soapy water has been used to treat aphid infestations for years.

Good use of waste water.

Bill

Watering the aquarium plants. Cardman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 06-04-2004 09:34 PM
Watering Potted Plants sweet Texas 1 31-01-2004 07:32 AM
Watering plants via wick itten Ponds 1 26-05-2003 05:08 PM
Feeding plants with mains automatic watering systems Andrew Lovatt United Kingdom 2 24-04-2003 08:56 PM
Watering tomato plants John S. DeBoo Gardening 7 25-03-2003 03:32 AM