Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with?

On Mar 6, 5:24*pm, Jim xzy wrote:
Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with (specifically, comfrey)?
The reason I ask, is because I am thinking of drilling some small holes in
the 2" sloping waste pipe outside my house which takes the dishwasher's
effluent to the sewer downpipe. Underneath the 2" waste pipe, is a long
planter containing my comfrey plants, which I gather prefer to live in damp
soil.

The dishwasher tablets I use are the cheapest type from Tesco. I also use
salt, in the dishwasher's salt compartment, to inhibit limescale.

Jim

It has lots of salt, and worse. I'd be surpised if there were many
plants that survived it.

NT