Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with?

On 2012-03-07 15:55:40 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On 6 Mar 2012 17:24:23 GMT, Jim xzy wrote:

Is dishwasher effluent OK for watering plants with (specifically,
comfrey)?
The reason I ask, is because I am thinking of drilling some small holes
in
the 2" sloping waste pipe outside my house which takes the dishwasher's
effluent to the sewer downpipe. Underneath the 2" waste pipe, is a long
planter containing my comfrey plants, which I gather prefer to live in
damp
soil.

The dishwasher tablets I use are the cheapest type from Tesco. I also
use
salt, in the dishwasher's salt compartment, to inhibit limescale.

Jim

'Ordinary' washing-up water is OK for occasional use on the garden
e.g. at times of drought, but as others have said, dishwasher water is
quite another matter. It contains much more in the way of aggressive
detergents, and I would expect frequent and repeated doses onto a
potted plant would kill it.

Those who used washing up water from the sink (not the dishwasher) during
the 1976 drought, sometimes found a marked drop in aphids in their
gardens!
--
Sacha

It was during that period that my wife, who has been a very keen gardener
for a number of years, developed a wonderful method of using all the sink
and washing machine water. She had to really because we had a large garden
at our last house and we were complete as a family.

Kindest regards

Mike