Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default De-Icing Salt

gardenermatt wrote:

With winter closing, my pathways in the garden are still covered in the
de-icing salt I bought from 'Value Topsoil | Bark Mulch | Decorative
Aggregates | De-icing Salt from Hallstone'
(http://www.hallstonedirect.co.uk/).

It's proving to be a bit of a nuisance as me and my wife own a couple of
cats of whom the salt isn't the best for, but also, it's an eyesore.

I've suggested to wash it all off with water, but this way will cause it
to run off into the soil patches, ruining the PH and god knows what
else. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get shut of it to avoid
these problems?

Don't do that again... those salts are bad enough for a garden, even
worse to track indoors, and they wreak havoc on paved areas. Anyways
why would you care about ice in a garden during winter, you really
have no business walking about on frozen ground. And if you must use
suitable footwear, for outdoor chores something with cleats works
well, an old pair of golf shoes is perfect