Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Registered User

Default De-Icing Salt

With winter closing, my pathways in the garden are still covered in the de-icing salt I bought from Value Topsoil | Bark Mulch | Decorative Aggregates | De-icing Salt from Hallstone.

It's proving to be a bit of a nuisance as me and my wife own a couple of cats of whom the salt isn't the best for, but also, it's an eyesore.

I've suggested to wash it all off with water, but this way will cause it to run off into the soil patches, ruining the PH and god knows what else. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get shut of it to avoid these problems?

Any help is much appreciated.

Matt
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

(http://www.hallstonedirect.co.uk/).

It's proving to be a bit of a nuisance as me and my wife own a couple of
cats of whom the salt isn't the best for, but also, it's an eyesore.

I've suggested to wash it all off with water, but this way will cause it
to run off into the soil patches, ruining the PH and god knows what
else. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get shut of it to avoid
these problems?

Don't do that again... those salts are bad enough for a garden, even
worse to track indoors, and they wreak havoc on paved areas. Anyways
why would you care about ice in a garden during winter, you really
have no business walking about on frozen ground. And if you must use
suitable footwear, for outdoor chores something with cleats works
well, an old pair of golf shoes is perfect
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardenermatt wrote:
With winter closing, my pathways in the garden are still covered in
the de-icing salt I bought from 'Value Topsoil | Bark Mulch |
Decorative Aggregates | De-icing Salt from Hallstone'
(http://www.hallstonedirect.co.uk/).

It's proving to be a bit of a nuisance as me and my wife own a couple
of cats of whom the salt isn't the best for, but also, it's an
eyesore.

I've suggested to wash it all off with water, but this way will cause
it to run off into the soil patches, ruining the PH and god knows what
else. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get shut of it to
avoid these problems?

Any help is much appreciated.

Matt

If you try to wash it away it will end up in your soil. Salt (sodium
chloride) is very bad for plants, it produces a condition called sodizing,
in which the excess of sodium ions displaces other necessary metal ions
(calcium, magnesium, iron etc). This effectively makes your soil useless
except possibly for a few very hardy weeds. Sodizing is a major cause of
soil degradation and loss of arable land around the world.

Rome ploughed salt into the soil of Cathage after they conquered them. Now
this may be just a story or if real a symbollic gesture but in any case it
illustrates that the effect of salt on soil has been know for a long time.

So I would use any method possible to sweep it up, vacuuming has been
suggested, before trying to wash it away. And if you actually want to have
a living garden don't put salt on it in future.

David

Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 9, 2:39*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
gardenermatt wrote:
[...]

Not a "story" IMHO. Was a standard weapon of war in the ancient (and
not-so-ancient) world.

HB

Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:02:46 +0000, gardenermatt wrote:

With winter closing, my pathways in the garden are still covered in the
de-icing salt I bought from 'Value Topsoil | Bark Mulch | Decorative
Aggregates | De-icing Salt from Hallstone'
(http://www.hallstonedirect.co.uk/).

Rock salt won't do much to the soil pH, but the sodium and chloride ions
probably won't do your grass much good. If it hasn't dissolved, sweep up
what you can, and then flood-irrigate the soils near your pathway as much as
possible... the idea is to wash the Na+ and Cl- ions into the soil and below
the root zone.

Next year, consider CMA (calcium magnesium acetate) or sand or kitty litter
for your pathways. All of them are much easier on the vegetation and on your
cats. Put a good foot mat outside the door if you use sand... sand, tracked
into the house, will damage wood flooring or carpets quite a bit.

For the person who suggested not deicing pathways: that's not an option for
some of us. If we have a spate of below freezing weather where I live (PNW
US) I need to go out to the pump house and set up to prevent the water line
from freezing. The choices for me are to use the stepping stones in the pathwayor sink to my ankles in mud.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Kay Lancaster wrote:
gardenermatt wrote:

[...]

That's just silly to coat all walk ways with chemicals, sand, litter,
etc... could be a long walk for some so will need a truck load... and
then a little snowfall covers it up. Here in the northeast folks opt
for proper footwear, boots with cleated bottoms, old golf shoes, or
most slip on a pair of yaktrax or similar.... folks keep a pair by the
back door and another in their vehicle.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=yaktrax
http://yaktrax.com/
Old 26-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered User

Many thanks for all your feedback.

I eventually managed to clear it up - Took some time but i've most certainly learnt my lesson! My main concern was primarily the cause of slipping and injury, resulting in why I had placed it there, i will definitely look further into the Yaktrax option, thanks Brooklyn.

The best way, I found, to pull up the salt was to rough it up with a hard-bristled sweeping brush, then hoover up the excess.

Safe to say, I won't be placing it near my plants again!

Thanks Again,
Matt

[IMG] code is On

Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
adding salt Carola / Les Ponds 8 08-02-2003 11:54 PM
What is "Coarse Salt" used for? Ablang Gardening 3 29-01-2003 04:33 AM