Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Parsnips & Canker

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Whilst clearing my remaining parsnips, I began to realise that those
that were suffering from canker were generally those that I had planted
in potting compost in toilet roll tubes before planting out.

Most of the directly sown row were fine (but not as big, and split and
distorted becasue of the stony gound!).

Do you think it is just coincidence, or that the potting compost I used
(B&Q I think) was responsible?

It's possible it was responsible, contains composted garden waste these days
and if it's not sterilised goodness knows what's in it. Mine get canker,
about 50%, and they are direct sown.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.