Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Parsnips & Canker

Whilst clearing my remaining parsnips, I began to realise that those
that were suffering from canker were generally those that I had planted
in potting compost in toilet roll tubes before planting out.

Most of the directly sown row were fine (but not as big, and split and
distorted becasue of the stony gound!).

Do you think it is just coincidence, or that the potting compost I used
(B&Q I think) was responsible?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Whilst clearing my remaining parsnips, I began to realise that those
that were suffering from canker were generally those that I had planted
in potting compost in toilet roll tubes before planting out.

Most of the directly sown row were fine (but not as big, and split and
distorted becasue of the stony gound!).

Do you think it is just coincidence, or that the potting compost I used
(B&Q I think) was responsible?

It's possible it was responsible, contains composted garden waste these days
and if it's not sterilised goodness knows what's in it. Mine get canker,
about 50%, and they are direct sown.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2012 19:40, Roger Tonkin wrote:

Do you think it is just coincidence, or that the potting compost I used
(B&Q I think) was responsible?

I grew parsnips last year in conical holes, made with a spike, and
filled with B&Q compost. Most had canker attack quite badly.

The previous year the ones grown directly in the clay soil were mostly
canker free.

You may be right. There could be a B&Q compost connection.