Old 14-03-2012, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which Climbers?

In article ,
Fayebalina69 wrote:

Hi all, Im new to the group and am very much a novice at gardening! I
would like to cover a bare wall on our house. I need some fast growing
climbers which will be planted in the ground, climb over an arch and
spread out accross the wall (about 6 metres). Because its the front of
our house I would like something pleasing to the eye all year round so
was thinking an evergreen and then an additional sping/summer/autum
plant. Its a south-east facing wall but dont ask me what the soil type
is as I have no idea!

Where are you? And, to check your soil quickly, dig down 6" and
squeeze some damp soil in your hands fairly hard. If it goes
into a solid lump (or, if too wet, has a greasy feel and slips
through your fingers), it is clay. If it won't hold together
even when damp, it is sand. Most soils are something in between.

Anyway, except in very cold areas, consider Clematis armandii.
It needs something to hang on to, so you need to put a trellis
or some wires on (with vine eyes). And grow some annual climber
for summer, such as a morning glory or canary creeper.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.