Old 14-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered User

Smile Which Climbers?

Hi all, Im new to the group and am very much a novice at gardening! I would like to cover a bare wall on our house. I need some fast growing climbers which will be planted in the ground, climb over an arch and spread out accross the wall (about 6 metres). Because its the front of our house I would like something pleasing to the eye all year round so was thinking an evergreen and then an additional sping/summer/autum plant. Its a south-east facing wall but dont ask me what the soil type is as I have no idea!

Thanks in advance
Old 14-03-2012, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which Climbers?

In article ,
Fayebalina69 wrote:

Hi all, Im new to the group and am very much a novice at gardening! I
would like to cover a bare wall on our house. I need some fast growing
climbers which will be planted in the ground, climb over an arch and
spread out accross the wall (about 6 metres). Because its the front of
our house I would like something pleasing to the eye all year round so
was thinking an evergreen and then an additional sping/summer/autum
plant. Its a south-east facing wall but dont ask me what the soil type
is as I have no idea!

Where are you? And, to check your soil quickly, dig down 6" and
squeeze some damp soil in your hands fairly hard. If it goes
into a solid lump (or, if too wet, has a greasy feel and slips
through your fingers), it is clay. If it won't hold together
even when damp, it is sand. Most soils are something in between.

Anyway, except in very cold areas, consider Clematis armandii.
It needs something to hang on to, so you need to put a trellis
or some wires on (with vine eyes). And grow some annual climber
for summer, such as a morning glory or canary creeper.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Fayebalina69

Are you intending to place some sort of trellis or frame work of wires on
the wall of the house or does the climber have to self cling?

It would be useful to know where you are in the country and how sunny or not
the wall is

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 15-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered User

Hi, I strongly recommend English Ivy, it looks gorgeous, it is an evergreen climbers so it is green all year around, it adapts really easily, it is hardy to cold and warm weather and you don't need to do very much to care for it, just put a trellis to help it grow and nature will do the rest!!! you wont be disappointed, I love English Ivy and I grow plenty myself
Old 15-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayebalina69 View Post
Hi all, Im new to the group and am very much a novice at gardening! I would like to cover a bare wall on our house. I need some fast growing climbers which will be planted in the ground, climb over an arch and spread out accross the wall (about 6 metres). Because its the front of our house I would like something pleasing to the eye all year round so was thinking an evergreen and then an additional sping/summer/autum plant. Its a south-east facing wall but dont ask me what the soil type is as I have no idea!

Thanks in advance
Hi, I strongly recommend English Ivy,

Entry Door Of A Country House With Ivy Covered Facade Stock Photo Image

Old 15-03-2012, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

laurap74 wrote:

Hi, I strongly recommend English Ivy, it looks gorgeous, it is an
evergreen climbers so it is green all year around, it adapts really
easily, it is hardy to cold and warm weather and you don't need to do
very much to care for it, just put a trellis to help it grow and
nature will do the rest!!! you wont be disappointed, I love English
Ivy and I grow plenty myself

I *hate* Ivy. I had a flat that had some growing up the wall and it
was the devil's own job to get it off, which I needed to do as it used
to get entwined around the gutters & downpipes if I didn't at least
keep it under control. And once I'd got it off, all the pointing
needed re-doing.

The current house has it growing up our side of a (neighbours) fence.
If I had my way I'd remove the fence panels and put new ones in as it's
a darn sight easier than getting rid of the bloomin' Ivy!

If Ivy died out and became extinct tomorrow, I'd not shed a tear.

--
Chris
Old 15-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayebalina69 View Post
Hi all, Im new to the group and am very much a novice at gardening! I would like to cover a bare wall on our house. I need some fast growing climbers which will be planted in the ground, climb over an arch and spread out accross the wall (about 6 metres). Because its the front of our house I would like something pleasing to the eye all year round so was thinking an evergreen and then an additional sping/summer/autum plant. Its a south-east facing wall but dont ask me what the soil type is as I have no idea!
I'd think carefully whether you really want to completely cover it. You might be better off in the long run having something a bit more manageable that won't get out of control. Fast-growing climbers tend not to stop at the top of the wall, they move on to invade your roof, and now you are up on a tall ladder dealing with then every year, perhaps more than once a year. But something that stays lower down will still break up the stark lines of the house, and the bare wall above it, now it is no longer so square, sets it off and complements it.

The question "how do I get rid of the ivy which is destroying my house" is a common one on this forum. Russian vine, that's another.

Nick's suggestions are practical, and consistent with my thoughts. But really we need to know the conditions. Clematis are popular climbers, though they tend to reduce to very little during the winter - apart from the few evergreen ones like Armandii suggested by Nick, but they do need t obe well shaded at the base. I plant a bush in front of mine. I also grow clematis tangutica, which has fluffy seedheads which persist through the winter, before you prune it back to almost nothing in Feb. You can grow climbing roses, honeysuckle, even pyracantha (normally a bush), but these need supports, and often a fair bit of sun, though some roses will take part sun. There are climbing hydrangeas which will be happy in a less sunny location. Chocolate vine will be evergreen in a mild location. Jasmine is easy to grow. In asunny spot, with moist soil (if you are so lucky) star jasmine (trachelospermum) will be rather slower, but has an amazing scent. Etc.
Old 15-03-2012, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 15, 4:32*pm, echinosum
wrote:
Fayebalina69;953327 Wrote: Hi all, Im new to the group and am very much a novice at gardening! I
[...]

Virginia creeper Parthenocissus quinquefolia fast, great autumn
colour Other varieties are available
Hydrangea petiolaris Slower growing
Old 15-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayebalina69 View Post
Hi all, Im new to the group and am very much a novice at gardening! I would like to cover a bare wall on our house. I need some fast growing climbers which will be planted in the ground, climb over an arch and spread out accross the wall (about 6 metres). Because its the front of our house I would like something pleasing to the eye all year round so was thinking an evergreen and then an additional sping/summer/autum plant. Its a south-east facing wall but dont ask me what the soil type is as I have no idea!

Thanks in advance
Depending where you are, if you want evergreen, look up Hydrangea semanii, its also self clinging. For quick cover, I'd plant Clematis montana rubens with Passiflora caerulea, whilst neither are evergreen, you would get a long flower display !!
Lannerman.

Which herb in which bath! Derek[_6_] United Kingdom 10 03-02-2017 07:14 PM
Which rights for which animals? (was: problem with this newsgroup) Bob LeChevalier Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:42 PM
Which rights for which animals? (was: problem with this newsgroup) pearl Ponds 0 25-12-2007 06:57 PM
climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM