Old 15-03-2012, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Default Which Climbers?

laurap74 wrote:

Hi, I strongly recommend English Ivy, it looks gorgeous, it is an
evergreen climbers so it is green all year around, it adapts really
easily, it is hardy to cold and warm weather and you don't need to do
very much to care for it, just put a trellis to help it grow and
nature will do the rest!!! you wont be disappointed, I love English
Ivy and I grow plenty myself

I *hate* Ivy. I had a flat that had some growing up the wall and it
was the devil's own job to get it off, which I needed to do as it used
to get entwined around the gutters & downpipes if I didn't at least
keep it under control. And once I'd got it off, all the pointing
needed re-doing.

The current house has it growing up our side of a (neighbours) fence.
If I had my way I'd remove the fence panels and put new ones in as it's
a darn sight easier than getting rid of the bloomin' Ivy!

If Ivy died out and became extinct tomorrow, I'd not shed a tear.

--
Chris