Old 18-03-2012, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Climbing plant race.....

On Mar 17, 7:03*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway thing in
my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road. I took everone's
advice, and didn't buy a Rusian vine, although I was sorely tempted, due to
my eagreness for quick results. I deceded instead, to buy a honeysuckle. I
planted that last July. It hasn't grown much since then, so I bought a
Clematis Montana a few weeks ago. I planted that about 2ft away. It hasn't
shown shown much sign of life. Today I happened upon a passiflora, about
the same height as my clematios and honeysuckle. I bought it and planted
it, at the same location.

I now have the three climbers, each planted 2 feet from each other, and all
poised, ready to start their race up the pergola/porchway thing!

I'm not taking bets on which will grow the fastest, but I would apprecieate
your opinions on what to expect by, say mid-summer. Each of the three
plants is about 30" tall right now... All three plants will be in the shade
until they reach the top of the 5ft wall they are planted behind.

Many thanks...

Al

Heh Heh. All these plants take time to establish. Even Russian vine.
You are a member of the "instant gratification" cult.

Sometimes possible in gardening but at vast expense.
If you're lucky, your climbers will put on a couple of feet in the
first year.
In general, most climbers double every year.
Except Russian vine which trebles. :-)