Old 17-03-2012, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climbing plant race.....

I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway thing in
my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road. I took everone's
advice, and didn't buy a Rusian vine, although I was sorely tempted, due to
my eagreness for quick results. I deceded instead, to buy a honeysuckle. I
planted that last July. It hasn't grown much since then, so I bought a
Clematis Montana a few weeks ago. I planted that about 2ft away. It hasn't
shown shown much sign of life. Today I happened upon a passiflora, about
the same height as my clematios and honeysuckle. I bought it and planted
it, at the same location.

I now have the three climbers, each planted 2 feet from each other, and all
poised, ready to start their race up the pergola/porchway thing!

I'm not taking bets on which will grow the fastest, but I would apprecieate
your opinions on what to expect by, say mid-summer. Each of the three
plants is about 30" tall right now... All three plants will be in the shade
until they reach the top of the 5ft wall they are planted behind.

Many thanks...

Al
Old 18-03-2012, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 17, 7:03*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

Heh Heh. All these plants take time to establish. Even Russian vine.
You are a member of the "instant gratification" cult.

Sometimes possible in gardening but at vast expense.
If you're lucky, your climbers will put on a couple of feet in the
first year.
In general, most climbers double every year.
Except Russian vine which trebles. :-)
Old 18-03-2012, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:03:09 +0000, AL_n wrote:

I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway thing
in my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road.

Probably too late now but a Golden hop or three would fill the bill. It
has two advantages: 1. It dies right back in the winter and gives you the
chance to repaint the pergola and 2. You can make beer from the fruit.
Old 18-03-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek Turner wrote in
:

I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway
thing in my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road.

Probably too late now but a Golden hop or three would fill the bill.
It has two advantages: 1. It dies right back in the winter and gives
you the chance to repaint the pergola and 2. You can make beer from
the fruit.

I must look that one up (for other places in t'garden) Thanks..

Will anyone like to bet on which of my three contenders will climb 3 mtrs
first?

Whichever it is, I will buy another, because I am bulding a second pergola
that need covering...

Thanks...

Al

Old 18-03-2012, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 18, 12:29*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Derek Turner wrote :

I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway
thing in my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road.

Probably too late now but a Golden hop or three would fill the bill.
It has two advantages: 1. It dies right back in the winter and gives
you the chance to repaint the pergola and 2. You can make beer from
the fruit.

I must look that one up (for other places in t'garden) Thanks..

Will anyone like to bet on which of my three contenders will climb 3 mtrs
first?

Whichever it is, I will buy another, because I am bulding a second pergola
that need covering...

Thanks...

Al

I'd plant some nice tall Sweet Peas and Morning glory to give you a
show for this year.

Old 18-03-2012, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
Derek Turner wrote in
:

I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway
thing in my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road.

Probably too late now but a Golden hop or three would fill the bill.
It has two advantages: 1. It dies right back in the winter and gives
you the chance to repaint the pergola and 2. You can make beer from
the fruit.

I must look that one up (for other places in t'garden) Thanks..

Will anyone like to bet on which of my three contenders will climb 3 mtrs
first?

Whichever it is, I will buy another, because I am bulding a second pergola
that need covering...

Thanks...

Al

In terms of speed in the first year after planting the surprise winner here
has always been rambling roses. mine usually exceed 3M a year

Cobaea pringlei does 6M+ every year from the ground (Much like the suggested
Hops)

Akebia's and Holboellias are also fast growers

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 18-03-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, 18 March 2012 12:29:14 UTC, AL_n wrote:
Derek Turner wrote in
:

I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway
thing in my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road.

Probably too late now but a Golden hop or three would fill the bill.
It has two advantages: 1. It dies right back in the winter and gives
you the chance to repaint the pergola and 2. You can make beer from
the fruit.

I must look that one up (for other places in t'garden) Thanks..

Will anyone like to bet on which of my three contenders will climb 3 mtrs
first?

Whichever it is, I will buy another, because I am bulding a second pergola
that need covering...

Thanks...

Al

My money if I were prepared to bet on anything in gardening would be on the Clematis montana. "0 years and it'll be pulling he pergola down if you don't control it but it's still my favourite clematis especially the form 'Elizabeth'
Rod
Old 20-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Turner View Post
Probably too late now but a Golden hop or three would fill the bill. It
has two advantages: 1. It dies right back in the winter and gives you the
chance to repaint the pergola and 2. You can make beer from the fruit.
I have a golden hop. Unfortunately it shows little tendency to be golden.
Old 31-03-2012, 02:53 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_n View Post

I'm not taking bets on which will grow the fastest, but I would apprecieate
your opinions on what to expect by, say mid-summer. Each of the three
plants is about 30" tall right now... All three plants will be in the shade
until they reach the top of the 5ft wall they are planted behind.

Many thanks...

Al
By mid summer, I'd expect perhaps 60 inches.

The honeysuckle will take an early lead (but won't flower this year), but will be soon overtaken by the clematis, which, within 5 years, will demolish the pergola. How the passion fruit will cope amid this, I don't know!

I think all of us, as new gardeners, make the mistake of Clematis montana on a small structure - I now prune mine by, each year, sawing through another 2inch thick stem and leaving time and the wind to get rid of the remains from 20ft up in the Sorbus.
__________________

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

I'm not taking bets on which will grow the fastest, but I would
apprecieate your opinions on what to expect by, say mid-summer. Each
of the three plants is about 30" tall right now... All three plants
will be in the shade until they reach the top of the 5ft wall they
are planted behind.

Many thanks...

Al

To be honest, I can't wait to see your posts in about two years! ;-)
I hope there's a nice big tree behind the Clematis montana. My
neighbours had one in a former garden of mine. It used to come over a
12' high granite wall and devour a Rosa Albertine if I didn't cut it
back. They'd planted a Russian Vine, too but they did listen to my
pleading and hack that one out! I give you full marks for giving it
all a go and with a sense of humour, too!! ;-)

Sacha,

Your 'climber war' sounds even more gripping than my 'climber race'! :-)

Al