Old 27-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Steve Jones

Default [IBC] proposal

Jim Lewis wrote:

I have an idea on how IBC can improve the skills of
bonsai beginners. I'm suggesting that people like Jim
or Brent should record sessions of when they are doing
anything with bonsai. We can then upload the video on
to the IBC site and there members can download it. The
sessions could be root pruning, propagation, or
anything that beginners need to know. We can ask for
donation from members to buy the camera if we need
one.

This is a very good idea, however, and I'm forwarding this
message to John Jarrett, our webmaster, for his comments.

Jim/Fellow list members

I agree that this could be the next step that we take at IBC. Especially with the gallery as it is highlighted that working in two dimensions can be somewhat limiting and if the third dimension can be added by video .. so much the better.

However there are quite severe limitations with the technology at the moment and things that would have to be addressed are as follows :-

We would need a standardised video format to be used. There are at least five different video formats at present and each video format has a series of so called codecs which can be used. the video format/codec combimation dictates which video player the vi
ewer has to have on his/her machine to enable viewing of the video.

A more difficult problem to overcome is the problem of file size. Video files are VERY LARGE. For example ... a video of one minutes duration with sufficient resolution to be useful will be a file of between 10 and 20 mB. This will cause problems in two wa
ys. Firstly ... IBC would have to pay for server storage space for these big files. Secondly ... downloading of these files for viewing will take a very long time for those members who have on modem access to the Internet.

Here are come examples

Type of Access Top download speed Time for download of 10mB

Modem 5-6kB/sec 30 mins
ISDN 20-25kB/sec 10 mins
ADSL/Broadband 100 kB/sec 2 mins

The majoiry of home users do not have anything more than Modem/ISDN yet

But still ... this should not put us off :-))

Regards

Steve Jones

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++