Old 18-03-2012, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climbing plant race.....

"AL_n" wrote in message
Derek Turner wrote in
:

I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway
thing in my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road.

Probably too late now but a Golden hop or three would fill the bill.
It has two advantages: 1. It dies right back in the winter and gives
you the chance to repaint the pergola and 2. You can make beer from
the fruit.

I must look that one up (for other places in t'garden) Thanks..

Will anyone like to bet on which of my three contenders will climb 3 mtrs
first?

Whichever it is, I will buy another, because I am bulding a second pergola
that need covering...

Thanks...

Al

In terms of speed in the first year after planting the surprise winner here
has always been rambling roses. mine usually exceed 3M a year

Cobaea pringlei does 6M+ every year from the ground (Much like the suggested
Hops)

Akebia's and Holboellias are also fast growers

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs