Old 18-03-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Climbing plant race.....

On Sunday, 18 March 2012 12:29:14 UTC, AL_n wrote:
Derek Turner wrote in
:

I wanted something to quickly climb up and cover a pergola/archway
thing in my garden, to provide more privacy from a nearby road.

Probably too late now but a Golden hop or three would fill the bill.
It has two advantages: 1. It dies right back in the winter and gives
you the chance to repaint the pergola and 2. You can make beer from
the fruit.

I must look that one up (for other places in t'garden) Thanks..

Will anyone like to bet on which of my three contenders will climb 3 mtrs
first?

Whichever it is, I will buy another, because I am bulding a second pergola
that need covering...

Thanks...

Al

My money if I were prepared to bet on anything in gardening would be on the Clematis montana. "0 years and it'll be pulling he pergola down if you don't control it but it's still my favourite clematis especially the form 'Elizabeth'
Rod