Old 22-03-2012, 09:19 AM
CheshireCouple CheshireCouple is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
On 15/03/2012 19:11, CheshireCouple wrote:
Hi All,

I have bought a 6ft Prunus Amanogawa Tree (says shrub on the label).
The info it comes with, says it will grow up to 8m and with a spread of
3m.

It probably will when finally mature, but a more realistic size in 10
years is probably something like 3-4m tall and 1.5m spread. It goes more
or less straight up vertically and is quite slender.

The Japanese name literally means "Milky Way".

Almost certainly it is a cultivar grafted onto some wild cherry
rootstock so how vigorous it is may be to some extent pot luck.

I havent yet planted it in the back garden as I am confused after
researching the tree on the internet. I am getting mixed messages, some
sites say its root system isnt vigorous and others say the opposite and
advise not planting near foundations or over drains. Some sites say
planting distance from buildings should be 3/4 of its height, another
site said 1.5 times its height.

I suspect its roots must go down a fair way to support the top growth,
but as to whether they go sideways I don't know. Ours was about 10m from
the house and the roots showed no signs at all of surfacing in hte
borders or coming up through the grass.

I have a number of queries as follows:
1. I need to know how close can I plant it to my neighbours single
storey extension which runs right down my garden boundary?
2. How close to a fir tree can it be planted?
3. Are the roots likely to damage our lawn if I plant it in the middle
of it?

Probably not.

4. Has anyone ever tried to grow one in a container? If so how did it
get on?

It will fall over ever windy day until it expires.

I probably have lots more questions, but thats a start!
Thank you all very much for taking the time to read and reply!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown