Old 15-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered User

Default Advice Needed for Prunus Amanogawa Tree

Hi All,

I have bought a 6ft Prunus Amanogawa Tree (says shrub on the label). The info it comes with, says it will grow up to 8m and with a spread of 3m.

I havent yet planted it in the back garden as I am confused after researching the tree on the internet. I am getting mixed messages, some sites say its root system isnt vigorous and others say the opposite and advise not planting near foundations or over drains. Some sites say planting distance from buildings should be 3/4 of its height, another site said 1.5 times its height.

I have a number of queries as follows:
1. I need to know how close can I plant it to my neighbours single storey extension which runs right down my garden boundary?
2. How close to a fir tree can it be planted?
3. Are the roots likely to damage our lawn if I plant it in the middle of it?
4. Has anyone ever tried to grow one in a container? If so how did it get on?

I probably have lots more questions, but thats a start!
Thank you all very much for taking the time to read and reply!
Old 15-03-2012, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--
CheshireCouple

Think
If it's going to get tall then in a container it will blow over.
If you plant it to close to conifers they will take all the feed and
moisture from the ground around them.
The roots shouldn't do any harm to your lawn, and it would be better
there than close to a building though its roots are not amongst the
worst.
Think
It's going to get tall so do you want to be able to see it from
indoors, that should help you decide where you plant it.
That can make great looking trees.
Enjoy it.
David @ the normally wet end of Swansea Bay, now in the 6th day of
drought.

Old 16-03-2012, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2012 19:11, CheshireCouple wrote:
Hi All,

I have bought a 6ft Prunus Amanogawa Tree (says shrub on the label).
The info it comes with, says it will grow up to 8m and with a spread of
3m.

It probably will when finally mature, but a more realistic size in 10
years is probably something like 3-4m tall and 1.5m spread. It goes more
or less straight up vertically and is quite slender.

The Japanese name literally means "Milky Way".

Almost certainly it is a cultivar grafted onto some wild cherry
rootstock so how vigorous it is may be to some extent pot luck.

I havent yet planted it in the back garden as I am confused after
researching the tree on the internet. I am getting mixed messages, some
sites say its root system isnt vigorous and others say the opposite and
advise not planting near foundations or over drains. Some sites say
planting distance from buildings should be 3/4 of its height, another
site said 1.5 times its height.

I suspect its roots must go down a fair way to support the top growth,
but as to whether they go sideways I don't know. Ours was about 10m from
the house and the roots showed no signs at all of surfacing in hte
borders or coming up through the grass.

I have a number of queries as follows:
1. I need to know how close can I plant it to my neighbours single
storey extension which runs right down my garden boundary?
2. How close to a fir tree can it be planted?
3. Are the roots likely to damage our lawn if I plant it in the middle
of it?

Probably not.

4. Has anyone ever tried to grow one in a container? If so how did it
get on?

It will fall over ever windy day until it expires.

I probably have lots more questions, but thats a start!
Thank you all very much for taking the time to read and reply!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
[...]

Thank you so much for your help. I am still undecided about the exact location for planting it so I have put it in a larger pot for now on a south facing patio.
Old 31-03-2012, 03:00 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCouple View Post
Thank you so much for your help. I am still undecided about the exact location for planting it so I have put it in a larger pot for now on a south facing patio.
It will dry out very quickly once the weather improves, so keep a good eye on moisture levels.