Old 23-03-2012, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Not Another Lawn ?

Another_Lawn? wrote:
At one point we had a lot of rain up here (aberdeen) and I just never
got a chance to go out and cut the grass so it grew and grew.
Eventually we started seeing some mushrooms so I thought sod it (again
with the pun) got the flymo out and cut the grass down. The grass was
wettish and it was long enough to be a bit of a struggle to cut.
After that it was down hill.

Letting it grow long, then cutting it short leaves nothing but stems. The leaves
are not there to feed the roots. The roots suffer.

Using a proper fall fertilizer is probably the most important fertilizer
application. The roots get stronger over the winter.

Large patches started discolouring so I put down some of the grass
restorer etc but to no avail. It gradually all died. There is a wee
bit of grass returning but I dont see it getting better See below.

Fertilizers need to be applied in moderation. Too much will kill the grass
quickly.

Properly overseeding now, keeping it just damp without ever drying out till the
seed sprouts might restore it assuming that the area gets enough light. Scratch
up the bare soil first, and rake the seed into the soil till it is covered.

After the grass is established, do not water it a tiny bit each day, but water
it heavily once a week to help the roots grow deep.

By the way, it is better to access this alt.home.lawn.garden usenet group using
a newsreader program and usenet server, rather than accessing it through
websites like gardenbanter that post it as if it is their their own offering.
There are multiple free newservers like eternal-september available.