Old 26-03-2012, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Leaf Beet?

Moonraker wrote:

Now you know why I subscribe to this news group, it is an attempt to
reduce my ignorance.

For what it's worth, the Seed Saver's Exchange (U.S., but members
everywhere) defines Swiss Chard as "Any beet that is grown for its
foliage." I have a chard I like that winters over well*, so I leave some
plants to flower and produce seed the next season.
And yes, the search for knowledge always leads to things you wanted to
learn and vastly more that you find you _don't_ know.

*n.b. my winters are far harsher that most, but certainly not all, of the
UK.