Old 25-03-2012, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leaf Beet?

Last year I grew the above,had a very good crop. After the Summer I left
it in the ground, this AM preparing for other planting I dug up the old
plants. Very extensive root system similar to parsnip, however I wander.
While removing them I noticed among the tired old leaves fresh growth.
Would these be good too eat, or would they be rather bitter?
Old 25-03-2012, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
Last year I grew the above,had a very good crop. After the Summer I left
it in the ground, this AM preparing for other planting I dug up the old
plants. Very extensive root system similar to parsnip, however I wander.
While removing them I noticed among the tired old leaves fresh growth.
Would these be good too eat, or would they be rather bitter?

Thought leaf beet was perennial?
If this is the same as "perpetual spinach"/

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 26-03-2012, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 25, 10:40*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message

Last year I grew the above,had a very good crop. After the Summer I left
it in the ground, this AM preparing for other planting I dug up the old
plants. Very extensive root system similar to parsnip, however I wander..
While removing them I noticed among the tired old leaves fresh growth.
Would these be good too eat, or would they be rather bitter?

Thought leaf beet was perennial?
If this is the same as "perpetual spinach"/

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

I can't undersatnd why you dug them up, they are often grown to give
you early greens, esp if conered with a cloch to bring them on early.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/03/2012 19:11, Moonraker wrote:
Last year I grew the above,had a very good crop. After the Summer I left
it in the ground, this AM preparing for other planting I dug up the old
plants. Very extensive root system similar to parsnip, however I wander.
While removing them I noticed among the tired old leaves fresh growth.
Would these be good too eat, or would they be rather bitter?

Is leaf beet the same thing as Swiss Chard? If so you can eat the fresh
young leaves produced by the old plants. The older leaves may be too
leathery and strong flavoured.

If it is the variety with the wide creamy coloured stems you can eat the
leaf stems as a dish separate to the green leaves. In fact it is often
grown for the leaf stems rather than the green spinach-like leaves.

Try chopping the leaf stems into pieces around 1cm and sautéing them in
a little butter. They have a nice nutty taste and work well as a side
vegetable. Best when the leaves are not too old though.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 26-03-2012, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/03/2012 12:20, David in Normandy wrote:
[...]

Now you know why I subscribe to this news group, it is an attempt to
reduce my ignorance. I think it works, the only trouble being it shows
up more ignorance.

Old 26-03-2012, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moonraker wrote:

Now you know why I subscribe to this news group, it is an attempt to
reduce my ignorance.

For what it's worth, the Seed Saver's Exchange (U.S., but members
everywhere) defines Swiss Chard as "Any beet that is grown for its
foliage." I have a chard I like that winters over well*, so I leave some
plants to flower and produce seed the next season.
And yes, the search for knowledge always leads to things you wanted to
learn and vastly more that you find you _don't_ know.

*n.b. my winters are far harsher that most, but certainly not all, of the
UK.

Old 26-03-2012, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/03/2012 14:35, Moonraker wrote:
[...]

I'm still learning and will likely continue to do so until the day I
die. I don't care about showing my ignorance. As the old Chinese saying
goes: "It is better to ask a question and look ignorant for a day than
to not ask and remain ignorant for ever."

That philosophy has served me well over the years. Whatever the subject
there is always someone more knowledgeable than me and they are
generally happy to share that knowledge.

Old 26-03-2012, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
Last year I grew the above,had a very good crop. After the Summer I left
it in the ground, this AM preparing for other planting I dug up the old
plants. Very extensive root system similar to parsnip, however I wander.
While removing them I noticed among the tired old leaves fresh growth.
Would these be good too eat, or would they be rather bitter?
--

Do not dig them up, they are not called perpetual spinach for nothing.

Old 31-03-2012, 03:13 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Last year I grew the above,had a very good crop. After the Summer I left
it in the ground, this AM preparing for other planting I dug up the old
plants. Very extensive root system similar to parsnip, however I wander.
While removing them I noticed among the tired old leaves fresh growth.
Would these be good too eat, or would they be rather bitter?
They're fine. But what you often find is that the plants will try to flower in the second year, and the flowering stems are tough. You can put it off by picking off the flower stems as soon as you see them, but eventually you will lose the race.