Old 21-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Valkyrie

Default Shady Climbers?

I have a very shaded balcony and I finally got rid of my honeysuckle vine.
It grew OK but the mildew problem was terrible, I had two different kinds
and they both became a mess each year. Maybe you can find one that is mildew
resistant, I don't even know if there is such a thing. I planted Sweet
Autumn climatis to replace the yanked honeysuckle last spring and it really
took off. I gets about one hour of sunlight late in the afternoon and
frankly I was surprised how beautiful it looks. The one thing I will warn
you about however, if you want quick coverage this will do the trick.......I
swear it covered a 5' x 4' trellis and then took off across the railings and
covered about 12 feet in less than 6 months, I was doing quite a bit of
selective pruning all summer too. The blossoms were very wonderfully
fragrant and I think the seed heads were as pretty as the flowers. I hacked
it down ruthlessly and it is still going like crazy. What is more I have it
growing in a pot which I was told would probably stunt it's growth
somewhat.....good thing, otherwise I would have to hire a full time, thong
clad, oiled up cabana boy with a great set of secateurs to stand guard 8-10
hours a day.

Val

"pelirojaroja" wrote in message
.. .
Any suggestions for some climbing vine-type plants (flowering) that like

be shady? I have a shady front porch with railings that would look great
some climbers. I thought of Morning Glory -- would that work? Any

others?

(I'm in Zone 5, Cleveland OH)

-- Thanks!
Lisa