Old 19-04-2003, 09:44 PM
pelirojaroja

Default Shady Climbers?

Any suggestions for some climbing vine-type plants (flowering) that like to
be shady? I have a shady front porch with railings that would look great
some climbers. I thought of Morning Glory -- would that work? Any others?

(I'm in Zone 5, Cleveland OH)

-- Thanks!
Lisa
-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"

Old 21-04-2003, 03:08 AM
TakeThisOut

Any suggestions for some climbing vine-type plants (flowering) that like to
be shady? I have a shady front porch with railings that would look great
some climbers. I thought of Morning Glory -- would that work? Any others?

(I'm in Zone 5, Cleveland OH)

-- Thanks!
Lisa
-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"

Trumpet Vine!

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 21-04-2003, 03:56 AM
pelirojaroja

Everything I have seen and read about the trumpet vine (bignoniaceous plant
of the genus Campsis) says that is requires FULL sun. I want something for
shade. Why did you recommend this plant? I am curious.

-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
Any suggestions for some climbing vine-type plants (flowering) that like

be shady? I have a shady front porch with railings that would look great
some climbers. I thought of Morning Glory -- would that work? Any

others?

(I'm in Zone 5, Cleveland OH)

-- Thanks!
Lisa
-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"

Trumpet Vine!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

Old 21-04-2003, 04:32 AM
montana

In article ,
"pelirojaroja" wrote:

Everything I have seen and read about the trumpet vine (bignoniaceous plant
of the genus Campsis) says that is requires FULL sun. I want something for
shade. Why did you recommend this plant? I am curious.

-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
Any suggestions for some climbing vine-type plants (flowering) that like

be shady? I have a shady front porch with railings that would look great
some climbers. I thought of Morning Glory -- would that work? Any

others?

(I'm in Zone 5, Cleveland OH)

-- Thanks!
Lisa
-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"

Trumpet Vine!

I'm not the one who suggested trumpet vine, but I live in Cleveland & I
only see it growing here in full sun. We've done well with honey suckle
in a shady area. Morning Glory also needs a lot of sun.
Old 21-04-2003, 04:56 AM
zhanataya

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:34:41 -0400, "pelirojaroja"
wrote:

Any suggestions for some climbing vine-type plants (flowering) that like to
be shady? I have a shady front porch with railings that would look great
some climbers. I thought of Morning Glory -- would that work? Any others?

(I'm in Zone 5, Cleveland OH)

-- Thanks!
Lisa
-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"

Kudzu grows great in the shade but it doesn't flower so good. ;-

zhan

Old 21-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Allview

Any suggestions for some climbing vine-type plants (flowering) that like to
be shady? I have a shady front porch with railings that would look great

I'm in central Ohio and looking for shady climbers too. The only thing I've
found is the climbing hydrangea, but it is very slow growing. I won't live
long enough to see it cover my trellis.

Marilyn
Old 21-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Valkyrie

I have a very shaded balcony and I finally got rid of my honeysuckle vine.
It grew OK but the mildew problem was terrible, I had two different kinds
and they both became a mess each year. Maybe you can find one that is mildew
resistant, I don't even know if there is such a thing. I planted Sweet
Autumn climatis to replace the yanked honeysuckle last spring and it really
took off. I gets about one hour of sunlight late in the afternoon and
frankly I was surprised how beautiful it looks. The one thing I will warn
you about however, if you want quick coverage this will do the trick.......I
swear it covered a 5' x 4' trellis and then took off across the railings and
covered about 12 feet in less than 6 months, I was doing quite a bit of
selective pruning all summer too. The blossoms were very wonderfully
fragrant and I think the seed heads were as pretty as the flowers. I hacked
it down ruthlessly and it is still going like crazy. What is more I have it
growing in a pot which I was told would probably stunt it's growth
somewhat.....good thing, otherwise I would have to hire a full time, thong
clad, oiled up cabana boy with a great set of secateurs to stand guard 8-10
hours a day.

Val

.. .

Old 22-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Wayne Redick

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
[...]

Any preference on color of thong? I got laid off last week from my work.

Wayne

Old 22-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Valkyrie

"Wayne Redick" wrote in message
Any preference on color of thong? I got laid off last week from my

work.

Wayne

Please send picture of secateurs ;-)

Val

[IMG] code is On

Shady climbers for year round interest lauraloo Gardening 4 30-03-2008 06:21 PM
shady climbers? WillSniffer United Kingdom 3 28-09-2003 08:42 AM
climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
Climbers/plants for a shady wall Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 3 24-01-2003 07:35 PM