Old 29-03-2012, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatos By ring culture

Derald wrote:
Bill Rose wrote:

PH aside, this strikes me as a very dumb idea. I presume you've read the
Royal Horticultural Society's suggestions for Ring Culture.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=437

Thanks for the link. 'Til now, I'd never heard of "ring culture".
Unfortunately, the site doesn't give a clue about _why_, one would
consider what seems such a dumb idea, for all or the reasons that you
mention plus many others that come readily to mind. According to the
site, one still needs "growing media" in the damned bottomless pots so,
what's the point? Why not simply fill appropriatly sized pots with
store-bought "growing media" and be done with it?
So, I guess I'm asking, "Why?".

ok, i went and looked at the webpage and
the first paragraph did contain some of the
"Why"s...

---
"Greenhouse crops, especially tomatoes, are liable to
many soil-borne pests and diseases. Ring culture, where
bottomless pots rest on a bed of porous aggregate (such
as gravel), prevents root diseases and also allows roots
access to a large volume of consistently moist material."
---

songbird