Old 21-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default First Koi pond advice

Thanks Jan - I forgot about the bio-bugs being a little sensitive to excess
salt. I have an area in my skimmer box, post pre-filter, pre bead filter and
bio-falls. I usually just chuck the rock salt in there, where it dissolves
slowly, away from the fish. But not every one has that "luxury"!

Lee

"~ jan" wrote in message
Hiya Carl,

All I've got to add to Lee's excellent advice that I agree with is perhaps
this website:
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/H2oQual.html
Explains the chemistry and green water, plus other interesting things, and
you don't have to have a chemistry degree to understand it. ;o)

Only one minor disagreement is adding salt to one's filter, bio-bugs are
also sensitive to salt burn. So unless you can add it after the

bio-filter,
figure something else out. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:49:12 -0700, Carl Beyer
wrote:

I recently finished my first (only) koi pond. I did it all on my own,
with input primarily from books. I feel it is about a 450 gallon setup
(9'X4'X2'deep (x7.5) minus shelves) It has a Beckett 1600 pump for the
fall, as well as a Beckett BF700 Biofilter (it outputs up at the fall as
well). The Biofilter is running 24/7 and the Big pump runs 8A to 10P.

It is currently stocked with half a dozen gold fish and 2 koi. One 5"
gold butterfly and a 15" something or other. Both were a score (didn't
pay any were near what they were worth - read under $150).

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com/koi.html

These are some pictures of the site.

I started getting some green algae, and the local garden store (Los
Angeles area) recommended putting in a barley bale (pellets in a mesh
bag). Well, now my water is a lovely tea color. I have decided to
install a 15 watt Aqua UV light attached to the 24 hour (beckett 350
btw) pump and remove the barley..

So, a few questions

What would you change / add in this setup?

Do I need to completely drain the pond and refill or will the barley tea
color disappear in a while.

How often do you have to do a water change? Partial and full?

Anyone recommend some good books on this whole process that are steeped
in advice. One koi book I looked at had tons of scientific data, but
not much practical and easy to read.

Anyway, I am sure it is the start of a number of questions, thanks to
all in advance.

Carl

-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----