Old 30-03-2012, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chinese plants (was tree identification)

On 30/03/2012 18:13, G Wolmershäuser wrote:
Am 30.03.2012 16:21, schrieb Jeff Layman:

Did you ever identify that Himalayan aroid you posted a question about
some time ago?

Hello Jeff,
though it didn't bloom yet, I'm pretty sure it is Arisaema fargesii.
Actually I don't know how it could appear in that part of the garden
since I planted there only "true" Himalayan arisaemas :-)

When that sort of thing happens I often think that it is something like
a squirrel which digs it up and buries it somewhere else to eat later!
But it has a poor memory...

Oh, and is that photo on your website of Primula capitata ssp mooreana a
true colour reproduction? If so, it is the most amazing colour. Mine are
nowhere near as dark as that. :-(

Oh yes, it is of a very intense deep blue colour though the colour is
fading in due time. We had a very strange winter with harsh temperatures
in February when some plants have started growing already. Thus it seems
that I have lost some valuable plants. However, if it has survived and
if it will produce seeds I will gladly send you a sample.

That is most kind of you. But I will be moving house later this year
and the seeds will no doubt get mislaid. I also still have a couple of
plants of ssp mooreana which have not yet flowered, so I might still get
lucky. Maybe another time, thank you.

Talking about Himalayan plants, did you ever order plants from the
Chinese nursery Chen Yi? I have looked for them for years but now they
have a web page (http://chenyinursery.com/). Although they have a very
interesting programme the shipping costs (for Germany) are amazingly
high and prevent me to order there.

I didn't know of them. A quite amazing selection of plants, which
themselves do not seen expensive. But I guess transport costs and
phytosanitary certificates push the prices up to silly levels. However,
I wouldn't be surprised if the EU banned imports of all plants in the
near future, so it might be prudent to accept the high costs and order now!

--

Jeff