Old 14-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered User

Default tree identification

please advice on this tree
Attached Thumbnails
tree identification-tree.jpg
Old 14-03-2012, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moet32" wrote

please advice on this tree

|Filename: tree.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14806|

Very difficult to say without some way to tell size. However Robinia
pseudoacacia is one possibility.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moet32 View Post
please advice on this tree
Hi Moet, looks like a Judas tree (Cercis) to me ??
Lannerman.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:57:49 +0000, moet32
wrote:

please advice on this tree

|Filename: tree.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14806|

Almost certainly Judas tree, cercis siliquastrum.
It flowers on the trunk and older wood. A beautiful tree when in
flower. I would find some pods with seeds in and sow some. Not all
pods contain viable seeds.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-03-2012, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

please advice on this tree

|Filename: tree.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14806|

Almost certainly Judas tree, cercis siliquastrum.
It flowers on the trunk and older wood. A beautiful tree when in
flower. I would find some pods with seeds in and sow some. Not all
pods contain viable seeds.

I'm curious to know where this tree is.

Pam in Bristol

Old 15-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Hi Pam, do you have any tips about germinating these ?? Ive tried many times with no success, i've tried fresh seed, seed left on the tree until now but nothing !!!! I must admit that every time I've tried, its from the same tree in a clients garden so maybe this tree just doesnt produce viable seed !!
regards, Lannerman.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 15, 10:31*am, lannerman
wrote:
'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:
Almost certainly Judas tree, cercis siliquastrum.
It flowers on the trunk and older wood. *A beautiful tree when in
flower. I would find some pods with seeds in and sow some. *Not all
pods contain viable seeds.

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam, do you have any tips about germinating these ?? Ive tried many
times with no success, i've tried fresh seed, seed left on the tree
until now but nothing !!!! I must admit that every time I've tried, its
from the same tree in a clients garden so maybe this tree just doesnt
produce viable seed !!
regards, Lannerman.

lannerman- Hide quoted text -

I'm afraid I don't go for Judas Tree, the pods and the stems they are
on look to long and the stems to lax.
I'd go for Robinia if it is in the UK.
I've germinated several different Pod seeds gathered in Malta and
other places.
I treat them as I do all hard seed and pot them into Hot water, (Not
boiling), this expands the air inside the seed case, and as the water
cools the air left shrinks and water is drawn inside the casing, I
leave them overnight and sow the next morning.
David @ the normally wet end of Swansea Bay, now in the 6th day of
drought.

Old 15-03-2012, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Mar 15, 10:31*am, lannerman
wrote:
'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

I still say Judas tree David, but I'm not as familiar with robinia.
Having grown a Judas tree from seed and grown it for 20 years, I sadly
had to get rid of it as it got too big. I see those branches as an
old friend, pods right, twig formation right, wood the right colour
with the greyish bloom. We can't see all the tree, but the habit of
this one is a bit strange. OP, any chance of a photo of the trunk?
Does robinia have flowers up the stems in the same way?

Lannerman, I've not used David's hot water method, so maybe that's why
only some of the seed I've sown has germinated. After I had mine cut
down I found a self-set seedling, but it didn't survive the first hard
winter, 3 years ago.

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Mar 15, 10:31*am, lannerman
wrote:
'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

Thanks Pam and David. I must say that this tree looks identical to the one in Falmouth that I collect my seeds from !!. My Robinia had much lighter bark on the younger growth and is much more fissured on the older bark !! I cant see any thorns either but that might just be the OP's photo ??
regards lannerman.
Old 30-03-2012, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 16.03.2012 00:35, schrieb Pam Moo

I still say Judas tree David, but I'm not as familiar with robinia.
Having grown a Judas tree from seed and grown it for 20 years, I sadly
had to get rid of it as it got too big. I see those branches as an
old friend, pods right, twig formation right, wood the right colour
with the greyish bloom. We can't see all the tree, but the habit of
this one is a bit strange. OP, any chance of a photo of the trunk?
Does robinia have flowers up the stems in the same way?

I definitely agree with you. you just have to look at the position,
where the seed pods are attached. This must be a tree which shows
cauliflory. This is true for Cercis (not necessarily C. siliquastrum)
but not for any Robinia.
Cheers
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de

Old 30-03-2012, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/03/2012 08:27, G Wolmershäuser wrote:
Am 16.03.2012 00:35, schrieb Pam Moo

I still say Judas tree David, but I'm not as familiar with robinia.
Having grown a Judas tree from seed and grown it for 20 years, I sadly
had to get rid of it as it got too big. I see those branches as an
old friend, pods right, twig formation right, wood the right colour
with the greyish bloom. We can't see all the tree, but the habit of
this one is a bit strange. OP, any chance of a photo of the trunk?
Does robinia have flowers up the stems in the same way?

I definitely agree with you. you just have to look at the position,
where the seed pods are attached. This must be a tree which shows
cauliflory. This is true for Cercis (not necessarily C. siliquastrum)
but not for any Robinia.
Cheers
Gotthelf

Long time no see, Gotthelf.

Did you ever identify that Himalayan aroid you posted a question about
some time ago?

Oh, and is that photo on your website of Primula capitata ssp mooreana a
true colour reproduction? If so, it is the most amazing colour. Mine
are nowhere near as dark as that. :-(

--

Jeff
Old 30-03-2012, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 30.03.2012 16:21, schrieb Jeff Layman:

Did you ever identify that Himalayan aroid you posted a question about
some time ago?

Hello Jeff,
though it didn't bloom yet, I'm pretty sure it is Arisaema fargesii.
Actually I don't know how it could appear in that part of the garden
since I planted there only "true" Himalayan arisaemas :-)

Oh, and is that photo on your website of Primula capitata ssp mooreana a
true colour reproduction? If so, it is the most amazing colour. Mine are
nowhere near as dark as that. :-(

Oh yes, it is of a very intense deep blue colour though the colour is
fading in due time. We had a very strange winter with harsh temperatures
in February when some plants have started growing already. Thus it seems
that I have lost some valuable plants. However, if it has survived and
if it will produce seeds I will gladly send you a sample.
Talking about Himalayan plants, did you ever order plants from the
Chinese nursery Chen Yi? I have looked for them for years but now they
have a web page (http://chenyinursery.com/). Although they have a very
interesting programme the shipping costs (for Germany) are amazingly
high and prevent me to order there.
Cheers
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 30-03-2012, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chinese plants (was tree identification)

On 30/03/2012 18:13, G Wolmershäuser wrote:
Am 30.03.2012 16:21, schrieb Jeff Layman:

Did you ever identify that Himalayan aroid you posted a question about
some time ago?

Hello Jeff,
though it didn't bloom yet, I'm pretty sure it is Arisaema fargesii.
Actually I don't know how it could appear in that part of the garden
since I planted there only "true" Himalayan arisaemas :-)

When that sort of thing happens I often think that it is something like
a squirrel which digs it up and buries it somewhere else to eat later!
But it has a poor memory...

Oh, and is that photo on your website of Primula capitata ssp mooreana a
true colour reproduction? If so, it is the most amazing colour. Mine are
nowhere near as dark as that. :-(

Oh yes, it is of a very intense deep blue colour though the colour is
fading in due time. We had a very strange winter with harsh temperatures
in February when some plants have started growing already. Thus it seems
that I have lost some valuable plants. However, if it has survived and
if it will produce seeds I will gladly send you a sample.

That is most kind of you. But I will be moving house later this year
and the seeds will no doubt get mislaid. I also still have a couple of
plants of ssp mooreana which have not yet flowered, so I might still get
lucky. Maybe another time, thank you.

Talking about Himalayan plants, did you ever order plants from the
Chinese nursery Chen Yi? I have looked for them for years but now they
have a web page (http://chenyinursery.com/). Although they have a very
interesting programme the shipping costs (for Germany) are amazingly
high and prevent me to order there.

I didn't know of them. A quite amazing selection of plants, which
themselves do not seen expensive. But I guess transport costs and
phytosanitary certificates push the prices up to silly levels. However,
I wouldn't be surprised if the EU banned imports of all plants in the
near future, so it might be prudent to accept the high costs and order now!

--

Jeff

Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 5 02-12-2009 10:01 PM
Tree Identification Chip G. Lawns 4 11-07-2003 09:24 PM
Help - Tree Identification (picts included) Scott Gardening 3 10-06-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Tree Identification Sean Nemecek Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 09:20 PM
Identification of pine tree from photo David Jones alt.forestry 1 05-03-2003 07:56 PM