Old 31-03-2012, 02:53 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_n View Post

I'm not taking bets on which will grow the fastest, but I would apprecieate
your opinions on what to expect by, say mid-summer. Each of the three
plants is about 30" tall right now... All three plants will be in the shade
until they reach the top of the 5ft wall they are planted behind.

Many thanks...

Al
By mid summer, I'd expect perhaps 60 inches.

The honeysuckle will take an early lead (but won't flower this year), but will be soon overtaken by the clematis, which, within 5 years, will demolish the pergola. How the passion fruit will cope amid this, I don't know!

I think all of us, as new gardeners, make the mistake of Clematis montana on a small structure - I now prune mine by, each year, sawing through another 2inch thick stem and leaving time and the wind to get rid of the remains from 20ft up in the Sorbus.