Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurap74 View Post
I bought a mature Clematis that is growing about 40 cm on a cane in a pot. I would like to train it to grow on a trellis, how do I do this now? shall I remove the plant from the cane on the pot or shall I attach the cane to the trellis? please help
Hi Laura, just leave it on the cane and tie the cane to the trellis. Was it outside when you bought it ?? if so, you can plant it out now, if not, I'd hold fire until this cold spell has passed. At 40cm, its hardly mature !!
One final point, if this trellis is on a wall ? then plant the clematis about a foot away and lean the cane back to the trellis, by doing this, you'll be sure that your well away from the poorer soil that tends to be adjacent to the wall and if this is a sunny wall, place a large stone over where the root is to keep the root cool.
regards, lannerman.