Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered User

Default Clematis is really puzzling me...

I bought a mature Clematis that is growing about 40 cm on a cane in a pot. I would like to train it to grow on a trellis, how do I do this now? shall I remove the plant from the cane on the pot or shall I attach the cane to the trellis? please help
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurap74 View Post
I bought a mature Clematis that is growing about 40 cm on a cane in a pot. I would like to train it to grow on a trellis, how do I do this now? shall I remove the plant from the cane on the pot or shall I attach the cane to the trellis? please help
Hi Laura, just leave it on the cane and tie the cane to the trellis. Was it outside when you bought it ?? if so, you can plant it out now, if not, I'd hold fire until this cold spell has passed. At 40cm, its hardly mature !!
One final point, if this trellis is on a wall ? then plant the clematis about a foot away and lean the cane back to the trellis, by doing this, you'll be sure that your well away from the poorer soil that tends to be adjacent to the wall and if this is a sunny wall, place a large stone over where the root is to keep the root cool.
regards, lannerman.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post
I was always recommended to plant them slightly deeper than they were
in the pot. You may find that the top grows away vigorously and then
suddenly keels over. It's a not uncommon problem with newly planted
clematis's (clemati?), and is called 'clematis wilt'
Since we're on clematis - I have one which I grew from seed marked Clematis integrifolia. But it's grown far beyond that and taken up residence at the top of a rowan, so no photos. It flowers early, earlier than alpina, and it has leaves at that stage, so I guess it's probably evergreen (I don't tend to look at it in winter). Flowers are white, slightly dropping, sort of bell shape, 4 petals. My best guess is that it's a non-freckled cirrhosa. Does anyone have any other ideas?
__________________
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Since we're on clematis - I have one which I grew from seed marked Clematis integrifolia. But it's grown far beyond that and taken up residence at the top of a rowan, so no photos. It flowers early, earlier than alpina, and it has leaves at that stage, so I guess it's probably evergreen (I don't tend to look at it in winter). Flowers are white, slightly dropping, sort of bell shape, 4 petals. My best guess is that it's a non-freckled cirrhosa. Does anyone have any other ideas?
No replies - so does that mean everyone agrees it's a cirrhosa?
__________________
Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
kay

Sounds the most likely as that one is easy from seed.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Thanks Charlie, As far as I can see it fits cirrhosa, so if it can be non-freckled, I'm happy with that id. And the easy from seed is a good point.