Old 21-04-2003, 03:57 PM
jklewis

Default [IBC] I need quick help on zelkova

Well, first, I don't find a Z. schneidria. ;-)

I'd guess the Chinese elm leaves would be some sizes smaller than any Zelkova. Upper surfaces of Z leaves are rough feeling on top; U.p. leaves are smooth and lustrous. Zelkova bark is smooth and gray in younger stems. Older trees have bark much like U.
p. but Zelkova's bark usually doesn't exfoliate. (From Dirr)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

From: Nina Shishkoff
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:11:13 -0400

Hi all! I'm in the middle of answering a "Bonsai Doctor" question
from someone who has a "Zelkova Schneidria", but thinks it might
actually be a chinese elm. Can someone quickly tell me how you'd
tell the difference?
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD