Old 21-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] I need quick help on zelkova

Hi all! I'm in the middle of answering a "Bonsai Doctor" question
from someone who has a "Zelkova Schneidria", but thinks it might
actually be a chinese elm. Can someone quickly tell me how you'd
tell the difference?
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-04-2003, 03:57 PM
jklewis

Well, first, I don't find a Z. schneidria. ;-)

I'd guess the Chinese elm leaves would be some sizes smaller than any Zelkova. Upper surfaces of Z leaves are rough feeling on top; U.p. leaves are smooth and lustrous. Zelkova bark is smooth and gray in younger stems. Older trees have bark much like U.
p. but Zelkova's bark usually doesn't exfoliate. (From Dirr)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

From: Nina Shishkoff
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:11:13 -0400

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 21-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Craig Cowing

jklewis wrote:

Well, first, I don't find a Z. schneidria. ;-)

I'd guess the Chinese elm leaves would be some sizes smaller than any Zelkova. Upper surfaces of Z leaves are rough feeling on top; U.p. leaves are smooth and lustrous. Zelkova bark is smooth and gray in younger stems. Older trees have bark much like

U.p. but Zelkova's bark usually doesn't exfoliate. (From Dirr)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

I think the leaves on a zelkova have coarser teeth too.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] zelkova needs nebari help Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 12-05-2003 01:44 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
[IBC] Zelkova Seeds chris Bonsai 1 01-04-2003 01:56 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 08-02-2003 08:27 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 08-02-2003 08:27 PM