Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Bamboo

In article ,
"busbus" wrote:

Hello,

The neighbor up the hill decided to plant some bamboo to cover the steep
hill behind his house. It has quickly come down the hill over the years and
it dangerously close to my yard.

What can I do to stop this junk? I don't think much of anything, is there?
Do local governments sometimes ban this junk?

Thanks!
ray

If it's actually bamboo, simply mowing (or cutting) it works perfectly.
True bamboos send up shoots once a year (spring, in climates with
winter, anyway). Cut those shoots off (cook them if you like), problem
solved. I have a small patch of bamboo - it does grow very fast (once a
year when the shoots use up the energy stored up for them over the
previous year) and after that it just sits there - the lawnmower keeps
it in check quite easily. Once mowed over, the roots that extend under
the lawn give up for the year.

Knotweed is a whole different ballgame, but it's also not bamboo.
Doesn't keep people from calling it bamboo, but it's not.

If the neighbor is not a jerk, talk. If the neighbor is a jerk, and the
lawnmower won't do it, herbicide or government intervention (if your
local government intervenes in this sort of thing - which only someone
else local to your town (or possibly subdivision) would know. Make sure
the wind is blowing towards the neighbors yard when spraying.