Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 PM
lfc2dogs lfc2dogs is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc2dogs View Post
im new on here so hello everyone, i have moved to a new house at the end of last year so this is my 1st spring in my new large garden. after i have cut all the brambles down i noticed something sprouting and has spread really fast, iv searched everywhere to find out what it is and had no joy. the plant is all connected under ground on a massive root, sprouts red then turns green with longish thin green leaves. trying to load pics for you to help id them
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
pics are a bit out of focus. First glance they look like rosebay, but the massive underground root suggests perhaps not. The other possibility is one of the euphorbias - probably Euphorbia griffithsii. It will have no flowerheads at theis time of year, just shoots, and it spreads by thick underground roots. If it is that, it's worth keeping - it has flowers surrounded by showy orange bracts which last for a long time.

If you haven't got other plans for that area, I'd suggest letting at least some of it grow for another couple of months until it flowers and you get a firm id.
thank you for that, il take better pics tomorrow when its sunny, its a massive garden thats been left to go wild for about 20yrs and its full of brambles, ive cut 3/4 of the garden down with just a bit left to do, but im struggling to dig coz of all the roots that have spread everywhere.