Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Potato distances

"John Price" wrote in
:

And another daft question. Following on from advice earlier about
planting distances I now have some maincrop spuds in. But someone
commented (and I've seen in books as wel) that the distances can be
closer for earlies - WHY? What's the difference? Is it the size of the
final product or what?

Thanks

(will probably be equally naive questions to follow during this season,
but it's good being able to ask questions that the books don't answer,
even if you do sometimes get varying opinion)

JIP

What you need to realise is that you are not asking a stupid question.

Earlies take up less room, because they usually are in the ground for less
time and the potatoes are smaller. So you can plant them closer.

Maincrop or lates grow much larger and take more time to grow, making the
space needed very much bigger. So you plant them further apart.

Hope this helps
Baz