Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato distances

And another daft question. Following on from advice earlier about
planting distances I now have some maincrop spuds in. But someone
commented (and I've seen in books as wel) that the distances can be
closer for earlies - WHY? What's the difference? Is it the size of the
final product or what?

Thanks

(will probably be equally naive questions to follow during this season,
but it's good being able to ask questions that the books don't answer,
even if you do sometimes get varying opinion)

JIP

Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Price" wrote in
:

And another daft question. Following on from advice earlier about
planting distances I now have some maincrop spuds in. But someone
commented (and I've seen in books as wel) that the distances can be
closer for earlies - WHY? What's the difference? Is it the size of the
final product or what?

Thanks

(will probably be equally naive questions to follow during this season,
but it's good being able to ask questions that the books don't answer,
even if you do sometimes get varying opinion)

JIP

What you need to realise is that you are not asking a stupid question.

Earlies take up less room, because they usually are in the ground for less
time and the potatoes are smaller. So you can plant them closer.

Maincrop or lates grow much larger and take more time to grow, making the
space needed very much bigger. So you plant them further apart.

Hope this helps
Baz
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"John Price" wrote in
:

[...]

Baz is right, you are not asking daft questions. Even the experts here who
post prolifically because they 'know so much' had to start at sometime or
other. My wife has been gardening for over 50 years, more than some on here,
but she is STILL learning.

Don't be ashamed of being a newbie at gardening.

Mike
A 'Non Gardener' but living with a 'learning' gardener with over 50 years
experience

Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What you need to realise is that you are not asking a stupid question.

Earlies take up less room, because they usually are in the ground for
less time and the potatoes are smaller. So you can plant them closer.

Maincrop or lates grow much larger and take more time to grow, making
the space needed very much bigger. So you plant them further apart.

Hope this helps
Baz

Thanks Baz - I was being a bit tongue in cheek with the "daft question"
bit. I've also found that in some groups, on other subjects, when
you're posting "newbie" type questions, it stops the idiots from
attacking you. But so far, every question I've asked here has been
responded to civilly, so I think it's safe to just ask!

Been doing the double digging today on my second 5x1 metres strip.
Dodging between thunderstorms, hail and clear blue skies - should
finish tomorrow and then start planting. I really wanted to plant
garlic - but been to every garden centre & DIY store in the area and
they are all sold out, except for one place that had "mild" - what's
the point of that? I want "bites your head off" variety!!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
.. . "John Price"
wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks Mike

Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You may find Gardeners' World helpful. Planting potatoes was covered
in the last episode.

Thanks Martin - guess that issue is gone from the shelves now - just
looked at the website and laughed when I saw "Next issue due May 12; on
sale April 26!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

o.uk...

--

John

http://thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

they do mail order, I know this because one of my neighbours works there and
I have helped her unload her car into the local post office a few yards from
where we live.

My wife and daughter were in there a couple of days ago :-)

Mike