Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Price John Price is offline

Default Potato distances

'Mike' wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
.. . "John Price"
wrote in
:

And another daft question. Following on from advice earlier about
planting distances I now have some maincrop spuds in. But someone
commented (and I've seen in books as wel) that the distances can
be closer for earlies - WHY? What's the difference? Is it the
size of the final product or what?

Thanks

(will probably be equally naive questions to follow during this
season, but it's good being able to ask questions that the books
don't answer, even if you do sometimes get varying opinion)

JIP

What you need to realise is that you are not asking a stupid
question.

Earlies take up less room, because they usually are in the ground
for less time and the potatoes are smaller. So you can plant them
closer.

Maincrop or lates grow much larger and take more time to grow,
making the space needed very much bigger. So you plant them further
apart.

Hope this helps
Baz

Baz is right, you are not asking daft questions. Even the experts
here who post prolifically because they 'know so much' had to start
at sometime or other. My wife has been gardening for over 50 years,
more than some on here, but she is STILL learning.

Don't be ashamed of being a newbie at gardening.

Mike
A 'Non Gardener' but living with a 'learning' gardener with over 50
years experience

Thanks Mike