Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Potato distances

"John Price" wrote in message
o.uk...

What you need to realise is that you are not asking a stupid question.

Earlies take up less room, because they usually are in the ground for
less time and the potatoes are smaller. So you can plant them closer.

Maincrop or lates grow much larger and take more time to grow, making
the space needed very much bigger. So you plant them further apart.

Hope this helps
Baz

Thanks Baz - I was being a bit tongue in cheek with the "daft question"
bit. I've also found that in some groups, on other subjects, when
you're posting "newbie" type questions, it stops the idiots from
attacking you. But so far, every question I've asked here has been
responded to civilly, so I think it's safe to just ask!

Been doing the double digging today on my second 5x1 metres strip.
Dodging between thunderstorms, hail and clear blue skies - should
finish tomorrow and then start planting. I really wanted to plant
garlic - but been to every garden centre & DIY store in the area and
they are all sold out, except for one place that had "mild" - what's
the point of that? I want "bites your head off" variety!!

--

John

http://thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

they do mail order, I know this because one of my neighbours works there and
I have helped her unload her car into the local post office a few yards from
where we live.

My wife and daughter were in there a couple of days ago :-)

Mike