Old 27-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal)

In a message dated 2/26/2003 6:12:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

I have an idea on how IBC can improve the skills of
bonsai beginners. I'm suggesting that people like Jim
or Brent should record sessions of when they are doing
anything with bonsai. We can then upload the video on
to the IBC site and there members can download it. The
sessions could be root pruning, propagation, or
anything that beginners need to know. We can ask for
donation from members to buy the camera if we need
one.

Luc:

This is not a bad idea, but the ONLY way to master technique is to jump in and do it.

Buy materials, tools, wire, and submerse yourself in the art. Devote several weekends to doing nothing but working with materials, challenging yourself to create better and better art. The materials need not be of the highest caliber, and I would suggest
purchasing inexpensive pieces ($10-$25) for the intensive workshops.

My bonsai weekend is an immersion into the art. I accept only one student for what begins on a Friday and ends on a Sunday at noon. We work on as many trees as possible, and the key words are bonsai art.

Videos and books are wonderful vehicles for study, but the true learning comes from diving into the art. Be fearless, knowing that great art is born out of creative explosion. The trick is to learn how to light this fuse!

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --