Old 16-04-2012, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Planting a grafted wisteria

On Apr 13, 3:58*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 4/13/12 11:06 AM, mushy_face wrote:

Hi,
I am wondering if i have planted this wisteria at the correct depth. *I
heard that you need to have the graft about 2 inches above the soil, but
i can't tell which bit is the graft. *Ive attached a pic of how ive
planted it, does this look right to you?
Thanks

|Filename: IMG_0416[1].jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14906|

The knob just above the soil appears to be a graft.

Two warnings about wisteria:

1. *They require soil that drains well. *They appreciate moist soil but
not soggy soil.

2. *Once established, they can be quite vigorous. *See
http://www.sierramadrechamber.com/wistaria/history.pdf about a
wisteria that actually destroyed a house.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see

I hope that doesn't deter people from visiting Sierra Madre to see
this remarkable vine, using the link that David furnished! Sierra
Madre is a charming community in the mountains around L.A. It still
has some "olde-tyme" community flavor.

Whether the Sierra Madre wisteria is larger than the Great Vine at
England's Hampton Court, I can't say; been years since I saw it;
impressive icon of English history. Below link claims it is largest in
the world.

http://europeforvisitors.com/london/...great-vine.htm

HB