Old 21-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Malcolm

Default Humane control of rats

In article , Essjay001
writes
Mimi De Moratti scribbled:

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:13:34 +0100, bnd777 wrote
(in message ):

Its people who put out bread etc for the birds that encourage the
rats in the first place
Since it does not assist the birds in finding natural food such
people are thoroughly misguided

What a strange philosophy!

No it's not continous feeding of wild birds throughout the year is
interfereing with nature

It is no more interfering with nature to feed them in the summer than it
is in the winter.

I suppose the millions of people who help
birds through the winter

That's different!

and the breeding season,

Birds begin their breeding season to coincide with times when food is
plentyful

True, but there is absolutely no harm, and potentially a lot of good, in
making even more food available.

when putting food
out can mean the difference between life and death for small birds,

as I said birds normally breed when food is plentyful

See above.

are all misguided, as are the BTO and the RSPB? I suppose we should
just let them all starve when it snows or the ground is frozen for
weeks.

Did you read this befor you posted it.

Birds who use feeders also forrage normally for insects etc., so your
argument does not wash.

Sorry but there you may be wrong. Birds that frequent bird feeders are seed
eaters. Whilst I would not argue that they may from time to time eat insects
they do not "normally forage for insects".

Err, just not true. Indeed, nonsense! Birds which frequent my bird table
include Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Chaffinch, House
Sparrow, Starling, Blue Tit and Great Tit, all of which "forage for
insects". Indeed about the only exception is the Greenfinch and even
that takes a few invertebrates.

It is a pleasure to feed the birds and have them keep my garden pest
free in return.

Surely while you are feeding them they have no inclination to strip your
garden.

You clearly don't understand the point being made :-(

--
Malcolm