Old 21-04-2012, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Beginner Basil Growing Tips?

In article ,
derf wrote:

I am worried about the cold predominantly. It is mid April now and I
live in Wiltshire, but I dont know how much cold basil can resist or if
its just fine to prick out and transplant now.

That's a good thing to worry about. I don't know what your weather is
like, but I can tell you that Basil will expire at the merest hint of
frost.

Now, if you are planting them out into protection (you mention a mini
greenhouse) that will not frost, you should be fine. But if it might
freeze/frost inside that, it's too soon for basil (I actually have found
something that's even more sensitive - our "pineapple tomatillos" took
some kind of a hit last fall on a night that the basil lived through
without damage.)

In planting straight into the garden, I generally wait until well after
the last hint of the possibility of frost before the basil goes out.