Old 22-04-2012, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default unwanted alliums - OK to compost?

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:

our garden has very many 'uninvited' alliums - almost rampant with them.
I don't know the actual species, they have very green fleshy stems with
snowdrop-like white flowers. They are starting to grow into the lawn now and
if we don't get a grip I think they will take over...

Luckily they are easily either pulled up (bulbs and all, if the ground is
wet), or the above-ground growth hoed and then collected. I've therefore
ended up with a decent pile of green material from these plants.

I run a few compost bins and I'd like to compost this stuff - if nothing
else to keep all the goodness that these blighters have taken out of the
soil! But I'm concerned that I might end up spreading uncomposted bulbs
around the rest of the garden when I spread the compost around in future
years.

Is this a real risk, and is there anything in particular I can do to avoid
the risk?

I compost ground elder, lily of the valley, Allium christophii
bulbs, bindweed roots and more. No problem except sometimes
with bluebells. But it does depend on the kind of heap - mine
is cold, but traditional, and so fairly large and slow. Most
bulbs are obvious in the compost if that is used any time in
the growing season, so I just put them back.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.