Old 22-04-2012, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default unwanted alliums - OK to compost?

Hi All
our garden has very many 'uninvited' alliums - almost rampant with them.
I don't know the actual species, they have very green fleshy stems with
snowdrop-like white flowers. They are starting to grow into the lawn now and
if we don't get a grip I think they will take over...

Luckily they are easily either pulled up (bulbs and all, if the ground is
wet), or the above-ground growth hoed and then collected. I've therefore
ended up with a decent pile of green material from these plants.

I run a few compost bins and I'd like to compost this stuff - if nothing
else to keep all the goodness that these blighters have taken out of the
soil! But I'm concerned that I might end up spreading uncomposted bulbs
around the rest of the garden when I spread the compost around in future
years.

Is this a real risk, and is there anything in particular I can do to avoid
the risk?

Other suggestions for ridding the garden of these blighters very welcome...

Cheers
Jon N

Old 22-04-2012, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2012 16:14, The Night Tripper wrote:
[...]

You will need to remove the bulbs as there is a good chance that they
will persist in the compost. You can certainly compost the green leafy
material. It may make the compost rather wet on its own, so either
spread it between your bins or add other material, such as woodier plant
material or shredded cardboard.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 22-04-2012, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:14:17 +0100, The Night Tripper
wrote:

[...]

As to what you pull up, compost the leafy stuff but black bag the
bulbs - they'll survive all but the hottest compost piles. But pulling
may not be enough - alliums, like other little-bulbed things such as
muscari and crocosmia, spread like wildfire by throwing out little
bulblets. When you pull, there's a better than evens chance that
you'll pull only the main bulb to which the leaves you're pulling are
attached; the little bulblets will easily pull off under the soil.And
if you're pulling by the handful, you'll leave a fair few main bulbs
underground without realising. If you want to eradicate, it's better
to use a fork to dig them up.

I planted about 20 crocosmia in the garden 20 years ago. Still trying
to get rid of them! Managed to beat alliums eventually and this year
will be glyphosating the muscari!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 22-04-2012, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Other suggestions for ridding the garden of these blighters very welcome...

When I had some in my garden I started eating them as they taste quite
nice. Sort of jumbo size spring onions. The ones with the bulbs on the
top of the stems are even better.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 22-04-2012, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:

[...]

I compost ground elder, lily of the valley, Allium christophii
bulbs, bindweed roots and more. No problem except sometimes
with bluebells. But it does depend on the kind of heap - mine
is cold, but traditional, and so fairly large and slow. Most
bulbs are obvious in the compost if that is used any time in
the growing season, so I just put them back.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-04-2012, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-22 16:14:17 +0100, The Night Tripper
said:

[...]

If these are wild garlic or ransoms, as they're known, they're both
fashionable and popular as edible food atm. But of course, you do need
to be sure that's what they are. Certainly, they spread like crazy and
smell strongly of garlic. Some 'smart' restaurants seem to be using
them for a number of dishes now.
http://uktv.co.uk/food/ingredient/aid/585886

Tsk! 'edible food' indeed! edible weeds/wild food would be the correct
terms!

I wondered if they might be Allium triquetrum, which are arguably
invasive (I love them) and they look a bit like snowdrops, as the OP
described them.

Old 22-04-2012, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi There

Spider wrote:

I wondered if they might be Allium triquetrum, which are arguably
invasive (I love them) and they look a bit like snowdrops, as the OP
described them.

Yeah, the images I found of Allium triquetrum look pretty close to what we
have. Certainly closer than wild garlic ... I wouldn't mind that...

Thanks for all the info!

J^n

Old 22-04-2012, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-22 16:14:17 +0100, The Night Tripper
said:

[...]

I deliberately introduced ransoms into my garden so I could eat them, and
they haven't proved invasive so far. The flowers are not like snowdrops,
just a normal alium type head (white).
The bulbs are so strong that if you try to eat them raw they nearly blow
your head off. I'd quite like them to get a bit more invasive than they
are, TBH!

Tina

Old 23-04-2012, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-22 23:15:43 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-04-22 16:14:17 +0100, The Night Tripper
said:

[...]

Perhaps it depends on soil or climate? In my last Jersey garden they went
mad and had to be pulled up and severely reduced every year. In this one,
we have very few but in hedgerows not very far away they're rampant and
you can smell the garlic in the air as you drive up that lane.
--

Just eat them to death. I am disappointed mine have not spread more. I
dare not touch them yet.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-22 23:15:43 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-04-22 16:14:17 +0100, The Night Tripper
said:

[...]

I've only had them for 3 years and they show no sign of getting out of
control or spreading. I wish they would so I could eat them.

alliums cineman United Kingdom 1 06-12-2006 11:22 AM
Ornamental Alliums Sla#s United Kingdom 1 01-08-2006 11:37 AM
Alliums...... Sacha United Kingdom 10 21-12-2005 12:57 AM
Globemaster Alliums Sonia Van Tassel Gardening 2 27-09-2005 05:35 AM
Alliums Paul Kelly United Kingdom 0 02-06-2003 10:00 AM