Old 22-04-2012, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default unwanted alliums - OK to compost?

On 2012-04-22 16:14:17 +0100, The Night Tripper
said:

Hi All
our garden has very many 'uninvited' alliums - almost rampant with them.
I don't know the actual species, they have very green fleshy stems with
snowdrop-like white flowers. They are starting to grow into the lawn
now and
if we don't get a grip I think they will take over...

Luckily they are easily either pulled up (bulbs and all, if the
ground is
wet), or the above-ground growth hoed and then collected. I've therefore
ended up with a decent pile of green material from these plants.

I run a few compost bins and I'd like to compost this stuff - if nothing
else to keep all the goodness that these blighters have taken out of the
soil! But I'm concerned that I might end up spreading uncomposted bulbs
around the rest of the garden when I spread the compost around in future
years.

Is this a real risk, and is there anything in particular I can do to
avoid
the risk?

Other suggestions for ridding the garden of these blighters very
welcome...

Cheers
Jon N

If these are wild garlic or ransoms, as they're known, they're both
fashionable and popular as edible food atm. But of course, you do need
to be sure that's what they are. Certainly, they spread like crazy and
smell strongly of garlic. Some 'smart' restaurants seem to be using
them for a number of dishes now.
http://uktv.co.uk/food/ingredient/aid/585886

Tsk! 'edible food' indeed! edible weeds/wild food would be the correct
terms!

I wondered if they might be Allium triquetrum, which are arguably
invasive (I love them) and they look a bit like snowdrops, as the OP
described them.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London