Old 23-04-2012, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Doug[_10_] Doug[_10_] is offline

Default Ponds - garden small variety

On Apr 21, 4:58*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message

On 19/04/12 21:10, David WE Roberts wrote:

You may have more frogs and newts than you realise.
We emptied our pond with a bucket and put any frogs and newts we found
into two seperate muck buckets (now known as trugs IIUC), cleaned out
the pond, refilled and put the wildlife back in.

We had at least 50 frogs and 50 newts which were hiding in the mud.

So no problems about emptying a pond and refilling.

Dave, what is the best time of year to empty and refill a small pond so as
not to disturb the wildlife too much? I have no fish to worry about in
mine: it's just a wildlife affair.

err.....when they're not shagging? :-)

I would think autumn would be the best time - in spring you are racing
against the first frog/newt spawn and in winter (although everything is
dormant) you have to beware of having stuff out of the pond when there is a
frost.

When everything has calmed down and some of the adults are away from the
pond could be a good time.
Also gives the pond the winter to settle before the burst of growth in the
spring.

However, before doing anything rash, probably best to consult an expert as
my opinions are free and also worth what you pay for them.

Some frogs and newts hibernate in damp places on land in Winter and so
would be unaffected by pond repairs.

Doug.