Old 19-04-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ponds - garden small variety

I have posted about my pond before - being overgrown, having lost all my
frogs ( except one I think and two or three newts).

I am beginning to wonder if my pond has a leak. Despite all my attempts and
no draught here and I have redirected the roof water into the pond ..... I
still seem to find my pond is not filling up. It just seems to be getting
less and less water. Its now down to the shallow ledge on the edge. Its
never as far as I can recall been that low before.

How can I find out if I have a leak? The ground around the pond is dryish
but if the leak were in the base it would go straight down wouldn't it?

Its a plastic pre formed pond. Its been there at least 20 years I think ( I
inherited it complete with a colony of thirty frogs and numerous newts and
other things) .

If I need to change it, what should I do? Take out the old one wholesale and
leave the wildlife in there and set the new one in place? I cant see how I
can move the poor little frog and his newt friends easily.

Old 19-04-2012, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "sweetheart" says...

I have posted about my pond before - being overgrown, having lost all my
frogs ( except one I think and two or three newts).

I am beginning to wonder if my pond has a leak. Despite all my attempts and
no draught here and I have redirected the roof water into the pond ..... I
still seem to find my pond is not filling up. It just seems to be getting
less and less water. Its now down to the shallow ledge on the edge. Its
never as far as I can recall been that low before.

How can I find out if I have a leak?

Use a hosepipe and fill the pond to the brim. If the level drops
significantly within a few days, you've got a leak.

Janet
Old 19-04-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:16:20 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , "sweetheart" says...

I have posted about my pond before - being overgrown, having lost all my
frogs ( except one I think and two or three newts).

I am beginning to wonder if my pond has a leak. Despite all my attempts and
no draught here and I have redirected the roof water into the pond ..... I
still seem to find my pond is not filling up. It just seems to be getting
less and less water. Its now down to the shallow ledge on the edge. Its
never as far as I can recall been that low before.

How can I find out if I have a leak?

Use a hosepipe and fill the pond to the brim. If the level drops
significantly within a few days, you've got a leak.

Janet

Adding to what Janet said, if the water level drops so far and then
stays about the same, the leak will be somewhere around the pond at
that level. So then take a few buckets of water out of it and check
carefully around the shell at the level where the water stopped
dropping.

What you do next depends on how big any leak is - a small hole can
usually be filled but a large crack in the shell is more difficult.

Let us know what you find and we can advise you a lot better on how to
proceed.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
[...]

You may have more frogs and newts than you realise.
We emptied our pond with a bucket and put any frogs and newts we found into
two seperate muck buckets (now known as trugs IIUC), cleaned out the pond,
refilled and put the wildlife back in.

We had at least 50 frogs and 50 newts which were hiding in the mud.

So no problems about emptying a pond and refilling.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 20-04-2012, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 19, 9:10*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

If you do it in winter there will probably be fewer frogs, newts and
other things involved but you are bound to lose a few anyway, .

20 years is a very long time for a pond liner so it almost certainly
needs renewing. Is it brittle at the edges?

Doug.

Old 20-04-2012, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
[...]

It does seem to stop at a particular level. I will try both your and
Janet's suggestions and see what it might be.

Old 21-04-2012, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/12 21:10, David WE Roberts wrote:

You may have more frogs and newts than you realise.
We emptied our pond with a bucket and put any frogs and newts we found
into two seperate muck buckets (now known as trugs IIUC), cleaned out
the pond, refilled and put the wildlife back in.

We had at least 50 frogs and 50 newts which were hiding in the mud.

So no problems about emptying a pond and refilling.

Dave, what is the best time of year to empty and refill a small pond so
as not to disturb the wildlife too much? I have no fish to worry about
in mine: it's just a wildlife affair.

TIA

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 21-04-2012, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
On 19/04/12 21:10, David WE Roberts wrote:

You may have more frogs and newts than you realise.
We emptied our pond with a bucket and put any frogs and newts we found
into two seperate muck buckets (now known as trugs IIUC), cleaned out
the pond, refilled and put the wildlife back in.

We had at least 50 frogs and 50 newts which were hiding in the mud.

So no problems about emptying a pond and refilling.

Dave, what is the best time of year to empty and refill a small pond so as
not to disturb the wildlife too much? I have no fish to worry about in
mine: it's just a wildlife affair.

err.....when they're not shagging? :-)

I would think autumn would be the best time - in spring you are racing
against the first frog/newt spawn and in winter (although everything is
dormant) you have to beware of having stuff out of the pond when there is a
frost.

When everything has calmed down and some of the adults are away from the
pond could be a good time.
Also gives the pond the winter to settle before the burst of growth in the
spring.

However, before doing anything rash, probably best to consult an expert as
my opinions are free and also worth what you pay for them.

Old 23-04-2012, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 21, 4:58*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

Some frogs and newts hibernate in damp places on land in Winter and so
would be unaffected by pond repairs.

Doug.
Old 23-06-2012, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

If I need to change it, what should I do? Take out the old one wholesale
and leave the wildlife in there and set the new one in place? I cant see
how I can move the poor little frog and his newt friends easily.

Thank you for advice on this.I have established I have a leak and have
purchased a new pond ( pre form). As soon as the weather is in my favour I
will be trying to tackle this job.

Thank you